HP (THE SILVER GHOST) 1907 - 1925
The 40/50 HP which Royce himself considered to be the best car he had ever made, was the first
Rolls-Royce to be known as the "best car in the world".
But silence, reliability and quality
were not the only things to impress the press and public alike in that
Soon after covering 2,000 miles (3,218 km) in the Scottish Reliability Trial the same car covered
14,371 miles (23,210 km) without a single involuntary stop, beating the existing long distance record of
7,089 miles (11,140 km).
1913 saw further success for the
Silver Ghost when four cars were entered in the Austrian Alpine
Trials and took virtually every prize awarded.
During the First World War Rolls-Royce
40/50 HP motor cars were commissioned as ambulances,
staff cars and armoured cars. Later armoured cars earned fame under the legendary Lawrence of Arabia.
Even with heavily armoured bodies weighing up to 4 tons they still managed 50 mph (80 km/h).
The Silver Ghost has now been completely
refurbished and in 1990 successfully completed a charity run from
John O'Groats to Lands End. All funds donated during the trip were for the NSPCC in England and Wales and
the RSSPCC in Scotland.