The car was capable of speeds
up to about 100 mph, although
built-in division revealed this to be a chauffeur driven motor car,
the first Phantom IV was equipped with a special driver's seat,
tailored to accommodate Prince Philip, just for those rare occasions when the husband of the future queen
would like to drive himself.
Production of this model was not
at Crewe but at the experimental foundry at Belper which had been the
home of the motor car branch during the Second World War.
The Phantom IV
remained the most exclusive vehicle Rolls-Royce ever built,
delivery being limited to royalty and heads of states. Only eighteen examples were manufactured, one of which
was kept with the company for test purposes. The bodies were produced mainly by the two coachbuilders,
H J Mulliner and Hooper who could be counted on to fit appropriate coachwork to the right standards.
Only the Rolls-Royce Phantom IV
for HRH Prince Talal Al Saoud
of Saudi Arabia was delivered to a French coachbuilder, Franay. This coachwork was listed in their works description as a sedanca de ville.
In fact, a four door cabriolet was erected on the chassis.
By creating the Phantom IV the manufacturer
had not abided by their earlier decision which had been to cease
once and for all the series of "big" Rolls-Royce Phantoms after the end of the Second World War.
In 1954 a Phantom IV was used for
the first time as an official State Limousine, at the State Opening of
Up until then Daimlers had been used on official occasions. A second Phantom IV, fitted
with a landaulette body, had been kept at Rolls-Royce exclusively for the use of the royal household since 1954.
This one was purchased by Her Majesty The Queen and shared duties with the first car of this type which had
been in service since 1950.